Wednesday, September 2, 2020

Implicit Bias

While I'm trying to find time to read up on The Constitution and prepare my thoughts on why I feel that it is being attacked, I thought we could try something different...

Well peeps, if you're not aware of what implicit bias is, prepare for a shock.  While this is mostly directed to a white audience, you don't have to be white to have implicit bias.

So, if you are have absolutely convinced yourself that you are 100% color blind and have not a drop of racism or colorism in your mental makeup, I invite you to take this test:

Race IAT test

If you're not comfortable just clicking on a link to enter info into a website you can go to the Project Implicit website, read about their data privacy policy and other information about Project Implicit.  When you're comfortable, click on the "Take a Test" link on the top menu bar and choose the "Race IAT" button.   There are more bias tests that you can come back to and try out later as well.

Once you are done, read the Understanding Implicit Bias short publication from the Kirwan Institute of the Ohio State University

While having bias does not mean you are a racist, it can mean that you are unconsciously taking someone's race into account when interacting with them, which does pretty much say that you are not 100% color blind.  Even if it is not a conscious thing.

I think it is important to use this as a starting point before having any conversation about racism.   As a white person, I have to acknowledge that my upbringing and perspective of the world does impact how I relate to people of other races.  Is it possible for me to really understand their experience?   Or is it more important to listen and do my best to empathize?

If you're interested in having a conversation about the results of your test and what you plan to do now that you are aware of the results, please comment below.

Trolls and others that do show evidence of having a calm and balanced conversation will be blocked.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Due to the nature of this blog and the polarizing topic, I am moderating comments. If you can express yourself calmly and can provide supporting evidence for claims you make, I will publish the comment. This is not moderation for content, but for tone. Thank you and I look forward to our fair and balanced debate.